tv paint demo. Everything looks so small Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Asha Hill

tv paint demo. Everything looks so small

Post by Asha Hill »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0EfHb ... iSFlr/view
hello. I recently downloaded the trial version of Tv paint (both versions) and everything ended up looking so small. here is the screenshot of it.
Greenlaw

Re: tv paint demo. Everything looks so small

Post by Greenlaw »

There is an option in TVPaint's Preferences that multiplies the UI size--try dialing it up to 2. Since that seems easiest, I would try it first. If that doesn't do what you need, reset the multiplier to 1 and try the following procedure.

Assuming you're running TVPaint on Windows 10, do this: First, right-click on the program icon and open its properties panel. You can do this on a shortcut. Click the Compatibility tab and click Change High DPI Settings. In the window that pops up, enable Override High DPI Scaling Behavior, and then select System (Enhanced) in the list. I don't find it necessary to change the scaling in TVPaint's preferences but in Window's Display Settings, I have Scale And Layout set to 200%. The System (Enhanced) setting works well with TVPaint for me, but there are 2 other options on the list you can try. I found that a few other programs that also have scaling issues run better with the 'System' option selected (i.e., not 'System (Enhanced)'.)

Here's an example of what TVPaint looks like on my laptop computer using these suggested settings.

My laptop has a 4k screen, so without these settings, the UI looks similar to your example: very tiny.

I guess if your Windows 10 scaling is set to 100% and you don't wish to change that, you can probably combine the above with the UI scale setting in TVPaint's preferences.

If you're using an older version of Windows, here's another procedure you can try:

http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10388

If this is happening on a Mac, hopefully somebody with a Mac will pop in with advice.
Last edited by Greenlaw on 14 Mar 2019, 21:25, edited 4 times in total.
D.R. Greenlaw
Artist/Partner, Little Green Dog
Lead Digital Animator, DreamWorks Animation Television
Dean
Site Admin

Post by Dean »

Hello Asha,

I just sent a response to your email regarding this problem.

I think scaling the interface's resolution to x2 might fix it. But Greenlaw's alternative solution looks interesting too ! :)
Probably a vampire
Asha Hill

Post by Asha Hill »

thanks guys. it worked. :D
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

There *IS* a difference between both methods...
If you change the scaling in TVPaint, only the GUI will be scaled up, the drawing area will still use the full resolution of your monitor.
If you change it in windows, everything will be scaled up, including the drawing area, and thus, the number of useable (scaled up) pixels will be lower.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Okay, now you got me wanting to revisit this. :)

It's been many months since I did this for my laptop but I believe you're correct. I probably went the way I did to make the pixels more visible since 4k on a 17-screen gives you very tiny pixels. If my screen was physically bigger, I might feel differently...but now I'm not sure.

I'll try the different methods described above this weekend and see if I still prefer Windows scaling on this laptop. Will post with my thoughts later.
D.R. Greenlaw
Greenlaw

Post by Greenlaw »

Ok, I'm back and here are the results:

After trying the different methods, I can't say I see a lot of functional differences between them, but I'm going to switch to TVPaint's built-in scaling for my laptop with the 4k screen because it's simpler and more correct.

My guess is that I had applied the Windows scaling method for my old Cintiq Companion 2 tablet computer because it had an odd 'in-between' resolution and TVP's '1' scale size was too small and '2' scale size was too big. I actually had the same problem with many programs on this computer and, in the end, I just reduced the screen resolution for the tablet to 1920 x 1080 because this worked better for those programs. (BTW, the newer Wacom Mobile Studio has a much higher screen res than the Companion 2 and is probably more comparable to my current laptop's screen.)

Anyway, there you go. For anybody still wondering, try the TVP method first, and if that's not working out for you, you'll probably need to try the Windows method.

Thanks, ematecki, for bringing this to my attention. I'm glad to have revisited this issue. :)
D.R. Greenlaw