File doesn't open current save or crashes TVP

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Elfbeee

File doesn't open current save or crashes TVP

Post by Elfbeee »

Hello,
I'm running TVpaint on 2 computers. One is a Dell uni computer, the other is my own MSI laptop. Both Windows 10, both 64 bit. They also both have TVPaint, version 11.0.8 32 bit. I'm using a wacom Intuos pro 4. Unsure about the driver details at the moment, but I've made sure to keep my own drivers up to date.

The issue I'm having is that the project I'm working on doesn't seem to want to save the most current version. I'll save it, TVPaint will then freeze for a moment, then finish the saving, and then when I open it back up, all my work is gone. The first time this happened, the file would just crash the program at 31% through loading, regardless of the computer used. The strange thing is that I was given a preview thumbnail in the files. I've run dskchk and sfc scan, and both of them tell me that nothing's corrupted. I then tried biting the bullet and made a different version of the file, starting back from a previous point. This turned out to be wasted work, though.

I have imported a .mp4 clip that seems to inflate the size of both files, and it's around 30MB. It seems to be making the files roughly 2GB, however. I'm trying to attach both files, but I'm getting an error here saying that even the smaller file is too big to attach.

EDIT: Okay, here's the smaller version of the file. https://we.tl/t-z12Hrf4bDQ
And here's the larger one. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eysIz7 ... sp=sharing

Please let me know if you can't get the 2nd one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Logan
Animark

Re: File doesn't open current save or crashes TVP

Post by Animark »

Hello Logan,

I tried to open your second file (the large one) but was not able to do. I got an error message "File not found".

There is one ugly thing with saving TVPaint files. Even if the software signals (the save progress bar disappears), that the process of saving is finished it doesn't mean that it really endet. TVPaint is saving as long as the little asterix at the projects tab beside the projects name is showing. If in the meantime the connection to the hard disk is dissolved, your file will break and your project will be lost. This happens sometimes to my students, when they removed their portable harddisc to early or if the connection to the server network has been lost.

But maybe there are much more possibilities to kill or break TVPaint files.

If it is not happened like I described before, I would try to run TVPaint with admin rights and would try to save the file to another location.
TVPaint 10.5.7 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64 (Wacom Companion 2)
Elfbeee

Re: File doesn't open current save or crashes TVP

Post by Elfbeee »

Thanks for that information, Animark. I'll keep my eye on those asterisks.

From what I know of this file, it TVPaint will still attempt to open it and not display that error if it's already running. So if you open it say, just after booting up the computer, the error will show. But if you've opened another project, if you opened TVP first, and then you try opening the file, the error doesn't display for me, on either computer I'm using. However, this is where the part where I get TVP crashing at a 31% load.

Thanks,

Logan