Stupid problem with a floating project window Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
skomdra

Stupid problem with a floating project window

Post by skomdra »

Hi,

I might be doing something wrong, or missing something hidden in the interface which I am not aware of. Every now and then I end up with the situation that every project which I open (or I make a new one) opens in the floating zoom window.

(I know it is sometimes useful to have floating windows, especially if you have more monitors. But on my HD cintiq this is irritating.)

I don't understand why is this default behavior? And how to setup TVP to have default windows non floating and then if I really need it to float I can click the icon.

I was looking into preferences and didn't find anything which sets this window behavior. And funny enough - for some reason sometimes this doesn't happen. It behaves exactly like I want to, the new project or loaded project is nested in the interface so I can jump from project to project by simply clicking one of the tabs. And then, I don't know why, goes back to the floating windows horror. It makes me insane.

(this happens on the windows 10 machine which I use in the office)

Can anyone of you wonderful people show me the way? Thank you!
-----
TV Paint 11.5.3 Windows 10
Padruig

Re: Stupid problem with a floating project window

Post by Padruig »

It sounds like you might be hitting a shortcut key to toggle the interface-inlay view. I cannot remember the default shortcut key for this but you can find out what it is by viewing your shortcuts and searching for inlay view.

Hope that helps.
abron

Post by abron »

I just got this problem too, it randomly started floating my project windows instead of opening them in tabs nestled together. I'm very new to TVP so I have no idea if I pressed something to cause this. I did try going into view>inlay view but this causes all except one project window to be visible. to see the others I have to uncheck inlay view, and I'm back to all my floating windows.

I'm running TVP11 Pro 11.0.8 on OSX 10.13.6

any help would be greatly appreciated!
skomdra

Post by skomdra »

I second that, inlay view has nothing to do with it. And my colleagues in the studio are experiencing the same thing, sometimes it opens as tabbed windows, sometimes it opens as floating window. It has no sense.
-----
Cardin

Post by Cardin »

The Inlay View does not have an assigned shortcut on the default configuration. So unless you changed the shortcut yourself, the only way to accidentally trigger the inlay view is to select it in the drop down window. There is an option, "New Zoom Window", which will create a new floating window. It does have a default shortcut which is the 'M' key.

Its likely that you inadvertently hit 'M' causing a new zoom window to appear. To get rid of these extra windows, hit the x in the right hand corner of the window. Don't confuse the window 'x' with the project tab 'x' though. You can have multiple windows open for the same project.

Pretty handy feature. I for one, do find the TVPaint interface extremely intuitive. For those willing to put forth the effort to learn it. It takes time to adjust but its worth it :D

To avoid confusion, I think maybe the New Zoom Window option shouldn't have a default shortcut. I remember being frustrated with this at one time as well.
TVPaint 11 Pro(11.7.2-64bits) Nov 14, 2023 Release
System: i9-13900K, 128GB RAM, Intel Arc A770(16GB), Win 11 (Ver. 10.0.22621 Build 22621)
Wacom Cintiq 4K (Driver 6.4.5-5 Jan 25, 2024)
skomdra

Post by skomdra »

Makes sense, Cardin, thnx, I will give it a try tomorrow! And I do agree, the interface is intuitive, this is the first time it made me frustrated in years :D
-----
Cardin

Post by Cardin »

skomdra wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 20:01 Makes sense, Cardin, thnx, I will give it a try tomorrow! And I do agree, the interface is intuitive, this is the first time it made me frustrated in years :D
I forgot to mention that right clicking on the auto-fit icon (the two-headed diagonal arrow) in the bottom right corner of the project window will also create a new zoom window. I think I may have accidentally done that before.

Another aspect of this that may be confusing is that it seems the zoom window attribute gets transferred from one project to a newly created one. I think this is why a new project sometimes opens in a floating window.
TVPaint 11 Pro(11.7.2-64bits) Nov 14, 2023 Release
System: i9-13900K, 128GB RAM, Intel Arc A770(16GB), Win 11 (Ver. 10.0.22621 Build 22621)
Wacom Cintiq 4K (Driver 6.4.5-5 Jan 25, 2024)
abron

Post by abron »

I found my problem, because I unintentionally moved my menu bar from up top to the side, it removed all of the project tabs, so when I opened new projects they would open in floating windows as like additional zoom windows. That's why when I'd close them the dialogue box would ask me if I want to close that view window, and the project would still remain open though hidden.

I found the solution here:
https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9615

just moving that menu bar back to the top solved the floating windows for me and revealed all the projects as tabs
Leighflee

Post by Leighflee »

THANK YOU!!!!! :D This has been driving me NUTS for weeks.
GerhardHuman

Post by GerhardHuman »

Hi, I followed that link but that's not solving it for me. I also have this happening now and I definitely didn't right click or enable floating window in the dropdown. I also didn't accidentally move my menu bar...
It's just suddenly opening it up in a floating window every time. And I can't get it to stop :(
I'm on Mac running 11.7.1
TV Paint 11.0.9 Std iMac 3.2GHz Wacom Cintiq 24 pro (no touch)
GerhardHuman

Post by GerhardHuman »

OK wait... if you just maximise the floating window it seems to solve it. Was weird because once you're in that view the cursor on the timeline doesn't line up either... anyways...
TV Paint 11.0.9 Std iMac 3.2GHz Wacom Cintiq 24 pro (no touch)