Mac OS Catalina, Mojave and High Sierra (update 08/10/2019)

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
JeremyN
Site Admin

Re: Mac OS High Sierra & Mojave (update 01/08/2018)

Post by JeremyN »

swiftsketcher wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 23:28 Any word on Catalina compatibility on Mac?
Hi,

It's too soon for now. I will try to download and install the beta this summer to see if there is any problem with this version of MacOS.
As Apple will stop compatibility with 32bits software, we will release a 64bits version of the Standard edition.
Mac Developer
maydaywray

Post by maydaywray »

JeremyN wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 07:48
swiftsketcher wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 23:28 Any word on Catalina compatibility on Mac?
Hi,

It's too soon for now. I will try to download and install the beta this summer to see if there is any problem with this version of MacOS.
As Apple will stop compatibility with 32bits software, we will release a 64bits version of the Standard edition.
I can confirm it doesn't work. I've gone through all the steps (re-install Sentinal driver and TVPaint) with no luck. What I get for being an early adopter.
JeremyN
Site Admin

Post by JeremyN »

Hi !

I did some tests with the last beta and it works with Sentinel driver 7.5.4, you can get it here:
SentinelSystemDriver.pkg.zip
(98.11 KiB) Downloaded 1724 times
Can you try with this driver please ?
Mac Developer
maydaywray

Post by maydaywray »

Jeremy! Things are working again after installing the linked Sentinel driver– THANK YOU
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Hello everyone,

macOS Catalina (10.15) released today, and from our initial tests, the good news is that TVPaint Animation 11 (64-bits only) is working fine on it.
You still need to manually allow the dongle drivers after installing them though.

However, the bad news is that a lot of other things are not working, like Wacom drivers. They don't work after installing them and allowing them: the tablet is not recognized by the system.
It appears that rebooting the system may make the drivers work.

All in all, macOS Catalina is quite buggy at the moment, and I recommand everyone on Mac to wait for installing it.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
daninski

Re: Mac OS Catlina, Mojave and High Sierra (update 08/10/2019)

Post by daninski »

I'm on Catalina, I've had no Cintiq problems and no problems with TVPaint; although I haven't updated to the newest version of that yet. I'd forgotten I'd updated the OS to be honest, all was prefect.
http://www.daninski.com
Award winning director with an iMac from about 2013 and a cintiq from about 2009, there's some RAM too.
BeniMorard

Re: Mac OS Sierra

Post by BeniMorard »

Agris wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 08:33
daninski wrote: 15 Nov 2016, 11:27 Ok, I've found something. If I'm drawing and I get a notifications from another app, my crosshair turns into a cursor. V.annoying if I'm doing something delicate...
I'm having this also on 11.0.6 standard edition Mac OS 10.12.5 .. Actually not sure about notifications, but If I switch to any other application, when coming back to TVP I get the cursor. I found I can get back the crosshair by pressing CMD + O (open dialog) and closing it.
I still have this issue in macOS catalina. Actually this is and has been a thing for almost ALL imac+cintiq+TVPaint users i know.
Has there ever been a fix? I can't find anything in the Forums, even the bug has been discussed multiple times.
GregH

Re: Mac OS Catalina, Mojave and High Sierra (update 08/10/2019)

Post by GregH »

I recklessly upgraded to OS Catalina 15.2 and already found the driver for my ancient Wacom Intuos dropped off the cliff into obsolescence and now I have this problem with tvpaint.

Went to save a cropped version of a project and I'm stuck on the saving window. It's not frozen, it's just unresponsive; can't click out of anything.

The "Proxy" on tvpaint is stuck at 60%.

A force quit would get me out of this, but I'd likely lose the work I've been struggling to do with a mouse (new tablet on the way), which would not be a good outcome.

Anyone had this issue or can offer a solution?

Thanks!

P.S. While I'm here - can anyone tell me what is meant by the term "Proxy"? I don't see how the meaning of the word I know applies in this usage.
TVPaint Pro 11.0.9
Mac OSX 10.14.6 (Mojave)
Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 32 bit
Wacom 6.1.7-4
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

GregH wrote: 12 Dec 2019, 02:27 I recklessly upgraded to OS Catalina 15.2 and already found the driver for my ancient Wacom Intuos dropped off the cliff into obsolescence and now I have this problem with tvpaint.
Hi, Greg -

I don't have an answer for your other issues, but for Intuos tablet , try this program called Connect My Tablet -

https://wptrnpt.co.uk/wp/connect-my-tablet/

It's for older Wacom tablets , to keep them running on updated Mac OS systems.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

I don't think there's a solution for this except force-quitting :(
When working with cropped project, I'd recommand saving as soon as the cropping is done (and use multi-backups), so you won't lose it in case of a crash.
P.S. While I'm here - can anyone tell me what is meant by the term "Proxy"? I don't see how the meaning of the word I know applies in this usage.
I have no idea why it was named "Proxy" to be honest (I've just checked on an old TVPaint 8, and the term was already used) :/
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

This explanation (referring to VRay rendering) makes sense to me:

https://vrayschool.com/render-faster-vrayproxy/
"An optimization feature found in most production renderers today is the ability to create Proxies. A Proxy signifies anything that can be used to represent or stand in for the original. "

GregH

Post by GregH »

Force-quit was the solution. I'd done a save not too long before, so not much was lost. Was largely concerned that there may be some other underlying issue with Catalina.

As for D.T Nethery's tip for older Wacom tablets - that's brilliant!! And too late :( After 15 years, I figured the Intuos was beyond hope. But thanks anyway, at least I'm not twiddling my thumbs waiting for the new tablet's delivery.
TVPaint Pro 11.0.9
Mac OSX 10.14.6 (Mojave)
Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, 32 bit
Wacom 6.1.7-4
artfx

Re: Mac OS Sierra

Post by artfx »

BeniMorard wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 18:31
Agris wrote: 30 Jun 2017, 08:33
daninski wrote: 15 Nov 2016, 11:27 Ok, I've found something. If I'm drawing and I get a notifications from another app, my crosshair turns into a cursor. V.annoying if I'm doing something delicate...
I'm having this also on 11.0.6 standard edition Mac OS 10.12.5 .. Actually not sure about notifications, but If I switch to any other application, when coming back to TVP I get the cursor. I found I can get back the crosshair by pressing CMD + O (open dialog) and closing it.
I still have this issue in macOS catalina. Actually this is and has been a thing for almost ALL imac+cintiq+TVPaint users i know.
Has there ever been a fix? I can't find anything in the Forums, even the bug has been discussed multiple times.
It's always been like this for me, for as long as I can remember. Getting notifications or switching out to another app and coming back, I get the cursor and sometimes, TVPaint's cursor seems stuck drawing at a single point, separate from the system cursor. Usually a right click anywhere fixes it, so I just accepted it as normal and kept on moving.
Terrence Walker
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacOS Monterey Version 12.6.2
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote: 08 Oct 2019, 16:40
All in all, macOS Catalina is quite buggy at the moment, and I recommend everyone on Mac to wait for installing it.
Is this still what you would advise regarding updating to Catalina (to wait) ?

Helping a friend to install TVPaint later today and she is on 10.14 Mojave and wanted to know if she should update to 10.5 Catalina. I said hold off for now.
But I wanted to check if there still any issue with updating to Catalina or is it ok now ?

Also, is the Sentinel driver included in the download install package now the correct Sentinel driver version ? My friend does not have a CD/DVD drive on her iMac , so she will need to download the installer. Will she also need to download Sentinel driver version 7.5.4 (or is it diver 7.4.2 for Mojave , as in Jeremy N's original post at the start of this thread: https://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic ... 44#p103514 ) ?

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Re: my question in the previous post:

Is it ok to update to Catalina or better to stay on Mojave ? I am helping my friend install TVPaint today . She is on Mojave , but was wondering if she should update to Catalina.