New to TVPaint, have a few questions... Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
greenteawasabi

New to TVPaint, have a few questions...

Post by greenteawasabi »

Hi there! I come from a Photoshop background and only now have I have a chance to try out TV Paint. I have multiple questions, listed down below;

1. On other software like Photoshop, if I press B, it automatically goes to brush. And if I keep pressing B it will stay as a brush. But On TV Paint, if I press b, it changes my cursor so theres these 4 yellow lines emerging from it. Then if I keep pressing B, it seems to scroll through multiple different "tools". Can someone explain what is happening and is there a way I can make it so pressing B is just one tool like the brush and only the brush?

2. Why are there two panels with tools? I see a Main Panel with multiple things that looks like tools but theres also a Tool panel. On other software everything usually stays on one panel, like Photoshop, the toolbar is everything together. I just get a bit confused as to which one I'm supposed to look at. Sometimes I see a pen icon in the main panel but also another pen icon in the tool panel. And then on the right I see multiple pen icons too! :shock:

3. What is the difference between the Power and the Opacity? Say for the pen tool? They look about the same to me..

4. On Photoshop, I can press and hold down Z and then move my cursor left and right to zoom in and out. Is this possible on TV Paint?

5. Say I have a scene in 24fps. I've done multiple drawings one after another, for example, I have key frames at frame 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. I want to now export this scene but at 3fps so the animation will play slower allowing the audience to see each frame clearly, instead of the fast 24fps. I went to File -> Export to -> then lowered the Rate Rate in that greenish field to a slower frame rate, maybe 3 fps or 12fps. For some reason, the exported file doesn't have all the frames. It sometimes have a couple of frames or just one. Sure, it plays slower but I want to show all the frames just played slowly, if that makes sense.

That's all my questions for now, I am very excited to animate and see what I can make using this software. Any help and tips would be greatly appreciated!

My Specs:

Mac OS, Catalina version 10.15.5
16 GB Memory
Using TV Paint Animation 11 Pro, version 11
slowtiger

Re: New to TVPaint, have a few questions...

Post by slowtiger »

1. The shortcut for brushes in TVP is D by default. It's possible to change this and nearly all others in prefs > keyboard shortcuts, but I recommend to first get more comfortable with the program before making edits there.

2. Those are different tools. Please read the manual about details. The pen icon in the main panel refers to your last used tool, right-click to see your tool history (comes in handy for some).

3. I don't know either ... just use it.

4. Zoom in with <, zoom out with shift-<. Again, you may change this in prefs > keyboard shortcuts, although not to the behaviour you described.

5. It's possible, but you have to check the right choices during export. See manual.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
tribute27

Post by tribute27 »

2. Think of the two panels as a Category > subcategory. The Main Panel is the top part with the general stuff, and the Tools Panel give you more detail/options of whichever tool you pick from the main panel. So if you pick something like the Circle tool from the main panel, you can specify what kind of circle you want it to look like from the tools panel. (Try picking the circle tool, and then picking the text tool then apply it on your canvas as an example!)

3. I think Power is equivalent to Flow in Photoshop. But it seems to affect brushes more than pens.

4. Alt+right click then drag left and right

5. If you want to do 3 fps, you can also keep the file at 24 fps, but extend the exposures to be 8 frames each.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-12-04 114937.png
Screenshot 2021-12-04 114937.png (64.88 KiB) Viewed 7913 times
Windows 10 64-bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | TVPaint Animation 11 Pro WIBU (11.7.1-64 bits) | Wacom Cintiq Pro 27
tribute27

Post by tribute27 »

And welcome, by the way!

Documentation/manual is in the 'DOC' link on top of this page if you want to keep exploring more features (which can be pretty fun imo). Feel free to ask questions anytime you hit a wall.
Windows 10 64-bit | AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | TVPaint Animation 11 Pro WIBU (11.7.1-64 bits) | Wacom Cintiq Pro 27
greenteawasabi

Post by greenteawasabi »

tribute27 wrote: 04 Dec 2021, 22:12 2. Think of the two panels as a Category > subcategory. The Main Panel is the top part with the general stuff, and the Tools Panel give you more detail/options of whichever tool you pick from the main panel. So if you pick something like the Circle tool from the main panel, you can specify what kind of circle you want it to look like from the tools panel. (Try picking the circle tool, and then picking the text tool then apply it on your canvas as an example!)

3. I think Power is equivalent to Flow in Photoshop. But it seems to affect brushes more than pens.

4. Alt+right click then drag left and right

5. If you want to do 3 fps, you can also keep the file at 24 fps, but extend the exposures to be 8 frames each.
Oh thank you so much!! the alt+right click and drag is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

I will ask more questions if I need future help, thank you again :)